Skulls and Fruit, But No Still Lifes

I met with my friend, Larry D. Thomas, the 2008 Texas Poet Laureate, for lunch yesterday. I discovered Larry (well, his poetry, not him) in the coolest bookstore in West Texas, Marfa Book Company. I wanted some poetry written by a West Texan about West Texas to read while camping in Big Bend National Park, but I wanted quality--something worth my money and, more importantly, my attention and my time. I came across Larry's Where Skulls Speak Wind. I carried it in my backpack to the top of the Lost Mine Trail. As I looked out over the canyons and pines and the March wind blew across those pages and the rich imagery of his sparse words, I not only saw the landscape but felt it.

Through a series of events beyond coincidence (more about that later), we met this year. A couple of months ago, he graciously agreed to read some of my poetry, including my creative thesis that I composed between 2001 and 2004. After lamenting not being painters, we had an awesome lunch at Cafe Artiste. I was touched by his kindness, blown away by his honesty, and humbled by his praise. This man knows how to craft words, ya'll, so to say that I value his opinion is an understatement. He deserves the title Laureate and your time, too, at the very least. I had just finished reading his chapbook, The Woodlanders. I am astounded by this man's talent, the way he can stare into the darkest corners of the soul and still want to (and still know that he can) be redeemed.

See what I mean...
With the Light of Apricots
Chapbook published by Lily Press
Available electronically at FutureCycle Poetry

No comments: