Back to Being Weird

Today's Poet of Note:

Alan Lee Birkelbach

Texas Poet Laureate 2005

Book: Alan Birkelbach: New and Selected Works (The Poet Laureate series from TCU Press)

In December of 2006, I was invited by Peggy Zuleika Lynch, founder of Poetry in the Arts, to write and then read a poem about human rights in Austin, TX. She explained that readings such as this would simultaneously be taking place all over the world. Well, I had to say "yes."

Due to my disability with directions, I was a little late, so I missed some of the first readers. Afterwards, a man in boots and a bolo approached me and said he really enjoyed my poetry. I learn that he's a former Texas Poet Laureate, and although I didn't hear him read, I'm even more flattered. He gives me (yes, gives me) his book. After recovering from the amazement at his skill and delight in his wonderfully odd brain, I contacted Alan and a friendship began. He has encouraged and helped me in many ways, and our friendship, as such often do, has led to other invaluable friendships. There are no accidents, ya'll.

Alan's work is delightfully weird and wonderfully refreshing. His work features a quiet yet authoritative voice--calm, filled with an iota of wonder, a pinch of mystery, and yet a bit of "well, of course." Just as poets observe everything, he not only misses nothing, but attaches his attention to things one normally wouldn't. And the stories of his poems are absolutely odd, but we never doubt him.

He will be reading and signing books at 7 PM at the Barnes and Noble at 2201 S Interstate 35 E in Denton, TX, on Friday, Jan. 25 (Robert Burns birthday). You should make a special effort to check him out.

No comments: